9/27/08

Thoughts- the arts...

For as long as I can remember, I’ve truly ever been only one thing. Perhaps I should say that I’ve ever only been one thing…truly. I am an artist. The one solid statement I can make about who I am. At a very young age, say four years old, I learned something about myself. I learned that I was different somehow. I wasn’t normal. Something inside of me said that I had an ability that was unique. Although I couldn’t fully understand what it meant, I trusted it. When I thought about it, even at four years old, I felt pure, confident and proud of my gift.

Here is a little perspective. I am 27 years old. I’ve had a college degree for 7 years. I’ve been a father for 9 years. I’ve been married to the best person I’ve ever known for nearly 10 years. All are great accomplishments I’m proud of. I’ve worked extremely hard to succeed in those areas of my life. I have been an artist for nearly 25 years…

Being an artist is unlike anything else one can be. It is a discipline that I respect and appreciate. Being an artist is the ability to create. Having unlimited access to drugs like inspiration and creativity. It’s being a master of the machine called imagination. Being an artist is freedom. It allows an opportunity to be a producer rather than just a consumer.

It is such a wonderful and powerful craft. Many dedicate their lives to the study and growth of the arts. Each day you work to achieve the best and highest levels you can reach. Pushing yourself to your limits, serving the great ability you’ve been given. It’s being in the best fraternity ever, where all the smartest, most talented cool kids choose to produce what the rest of the world will like and consume. It’s a mutual respect and appreciation of your peers in all areas such as painting, writing, music, drama, comedy, sculpting, architecture, etc.

Art makes the world tolerable…

I am David Salinas. I am an artist.

No comments: